Clock Square - Cidade Universitária - São Paulo/SP
After São Paulo was defeated in the 1932 revolution, the State realized it needed to create a new elite capable of contributing to the enhancement of the institutions, the government and the country as a whole. With this in mind a group of entrepeneurs founded the Escola Livre de Sociologia e Política (ELSP) (the current Fundação Escola de Sociologia e Política de São Paulo) in 1933, and the intervenor of São Paulo (a position which corresponded to governor at the time), Armando Salles de Oliveira, created the Universidade de São Paulo (USP) in 1934. USP arose from the union of the recently created Faculdade de Filosofia, Ciências e Letras (FFCL) with the existing Escola Politécnica São Paulo, the Escola Superior de Agricultura (Luiz de Queiroz), the Faculdade de Medicina, the Faculdade de Direito and the Faculdade de Farmácia and Odontologia.
Universidade de São Paulo is the most important institution of higher education in Brazil. USP is a public university, maintained by the State of São Paulo and connected to the State Secretariat for Economic, Scientific and Technological Development.
Each year around 130,000 students seek university entrance exams (Vestibular) to compete for the more than 10,000 vacancies at USP, making it the most fiercely disputed vestibular in the country. USP boasts 89,000 registered students (among undergraduate and graduate), 16,000 staff members, 5,800 professors, 246 undergraduate courses and 225 graduate courses at the 42 teaching and research units located on 8 campuses (São Paulo, Bauru, Lorena, Piracicaba, Pirassununga, Ribeirão Preto, Santos and São Carlos).
Universidade de São Paulo is responsible for around 30% of the Brazilian scientific production and the highest number of PhD graduates in the world, according to the Academic Ranking of World Universities compiled by the Center for World-Class Universities (CWCU) of the Shanghai Jiao Tong University in China (2012). These figures do not merely represent quantity, as the talent and dedication of the instructors, students and members of staff have been acknowledged by different global rankings, which regard USP as the most important teaching and research institution in Brazil and Latin America.
Some of the most important rankings to have acknowledged USP are: Shanghai Jiao Tong University; the Times; Performance Ranking of Scientific Papers for World Universities of the Higher Education Evaluation & Accreditation Council of Taiwan, and the Webometrics Ranking of World Universities.
This performance, achieved throughout more than 75 years of an unfaltering quest for excelence, enables USP (founded in 1934) to form part of a select group of world-standard institutions.
Escola Politécnica at Universidade de São Paulo (Poli-USP) boasts over a century of history, turning out generations of engineers who have excelled not only in their own personal fields, but also in the political life of the country and the running of corporations and public entities. Founded in 1893, the erstwhile Escola Politécnica de São Paulo was first based in the building named Solar Marquês de Três Rios. Over time, there was a significant rise in the demand for technical professions and an increase in the number of professors and students, resulting in the need to hire certain well-known international names from the field of engineering. This also led to the expansion of the School's facilities and the construction of the Paula Souza building, concluded in 1899, which also housed the research laboratories and educational workshops. Escola Politécnica became a part of USP in 1934 and was transferred to the University Campus in the 1960s. Today, Escola Politécnica is a national benchmark and considered to be the most complete faculty of engineering in Latin America.
Escola Politécnica occupies around 141,500 m2 in nine buildings on the University Campus in São Paulo. 457 professors, 478 members of staff, 4,500 undergraduate students and 2,500 graduate students either work or study at the school (2012). It is divided into 15 departments involved in teaching, research and community services.
17 graduate courses are available. 15 of these courses - Environmental Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering (focusing on Computing, Automation and Control, Energy and Automation, Telecommunications or Electronic Systems), Materials Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronic Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, Mining Engineering, Naval Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, and Industrial Engineering - are six-monthly, and the remaining 2 - Computing Engineering and Chemical Engineering - are different from the others: these courses are scheduled in quarterly periods and held in partnership with companies.
Escola Politécnica also offers ten Master's courses, nine PhD courses and one professional Master's course. Around 7,000 Master's and PhD degrees were awarded between 1970 and 2006. 235 Master's and 125 PhD degrees were awarded in 2012, placing the school among the biggest graduate institutions in the country and the biggest in the field of engineering.
Escola Politécnica has cooperation programs with dozens of foreign research and education institutions, amongst them France, Italy, Germany, Korea, Spain and USA institutions, which enable its students to make international exchange. Escola Politécnica offers three kinds of exchange programmes: Double Degree; Non-Degree Studies and Academic Internship.
College Building - Polytechnic School - São Paulo/SP
Materials and Metalurgical Engineering building - Polytechnic School - São Paulo/SP
The founding of Escola Politécnica and the concern in relation to doing and finding out why led to the opening of the first foundry geared to student's work in 1902. This foundry's cupola furnace (cubilot), a symbol of this spirit, is currently displayed in the entrance hall to the Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering. This concern, geared to the experimental bases of teaching, stems from the engineering schools of Germany, Switzerland and the USA. The foundry was opened by the founder of the Polytechnic School, Antônio Francisco de Paula Souza.
Metallurgical engineering began to be taught at Escola Politécnica in 1939. The original undergraduate course encompassed the area of mining engineering and had a duration of six years. In 1955, Metallurgical engineering and Mining engineering were split into two independent five-year courses. Therefore, it was from Europe and the USA that the department adopted the concept of long-term professional teaching of engineering, featuring, in addition to basic and engineering sciences, engineering projects and practices, as well as socio-economic sciences, taught in an applied perspective.
The Metallurgical Engineering Graduate Program was implemented in 1969 at Masters and PhD levels. In 1972, the department became the first in the field of engineering to be accredited by the Federal Education Council.
As from the late 1980s, the faculty, made up largely of part-time professors, began to gradually comprise full-time teaching and research professors with modern scientific academic qualifications. In 1990, the scope of the graduate program was expanded to graduate in metallurgical and materials engineering, and in 1995 the materials engineering graduation course was introduced, with the aim of accompanying the revolution taking place in the field of materials.
The Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering (PMT) is responsible for teaching materials and metallurgical engineers at Escola Politécnica. The department is located in its own building and covers an area of 6,700 m2. The laboratories occupy an area of around 2,500 m2 and the library 261 m2 (which has 5830 books and 556 thesis or dissertations), the remainder being divided among the mechanical workshop, computer room, classrooms, amphitheater, staff rooms and secretarial offices. The Department holds covenants with private and state companies and development agencies, as a means of conducting research, consultancy services, continuous education courses and training activities geared to the recycling of the expertise of professionals working in the area of metallurgical and materials engineering. The Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering employs 25 professors, 5 of which are full professors. 3 retired professors still work at the Department (2 of which full professors). Many of the professors are in charge of laboratories, which encompass active engineering research groups.
The metallurgical engineering and materials engineering undergraduate courses are five years long. Basic scientific formation in engineering sciences is achieved after two years. The 3rd year of the course begins to focus on the areas of metallurgy and materials, and both undergraduate courses share the same curriculum. In the final two years of the courses, each area follows a specific technical and technological-based curriculum aimed at producing professionals with a high analytical capacity, capable of solving problems, working in teams and possessing a spirit of leadership and innovation. PMT also offers Master's and PhD strictu-sensu graduate courses in the area of metallurgical and materials engineering. The goal of the programs is to produce first-class human resources, particularly professors and researchers.
Materials and Metalurgical Engineering building - Polytechnic School - São Paulo/SP
The mission of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering Department at Polytechnic School is to build human resource for excellence at Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, as well to consolidate the knowledge to the country's sustainable growth.
The vision of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering Department at Polytechnic School is to be a center of global excellence in teaching, research and extension at Metallurgical and Materials Engineering